Many people believe that “Describe Image” is one of the most difficult aspects of the PTE Speaking exam, but in reality, this is one of the easiest section of this exam.
The reason being you only have to speak for 40 seconds only, therefore, your response should be simple and straight to the point which is also the key to score high grades.
All in all, you only have to speak 4-5 sentences.
I would not recommend you to follow any fixed structure. Your focus should be on content rather than on structure. With content, I mean “focus on main points”.
However, for students who want a fixed structure or template, I have given a simple structure below.
PTE Describe Image Template & Vocabulary
PTE Speaking Describe Image (Bar Diagram) – Model Answer
PTE Speaking Describe Image (Table) – Model Answer
PTE Speaking Describe Image (Map) – Model Answer
The Most Effective Tips To Describe Image:
1. Be natural and don’t try to add any new words which you are not comfortable with.
2. No doubt “Content” is important, but keep in mind ‘Oral Fluency’ and ‘Pronunciation’ is equally important.
3. Describe important information – It is not possible to describe full image in 40 seconds. So candidates should explain main aspects of the picture as much as possible.
4. Don’t always try to answer in %, you can also use words like half, one-third, quarter etc.
5. Use subject related vocabulary & try not to repeat any sentence or word. For vocabulary words, you can check my post on PTE Describe Image Vocabulary.
Structure To Describe Image
1. Introduction: Identify the type of image (graph, bar diagram, pie chart, map, table) & start with a general statement. Try to paraphrase the title & say the period of time presented on the graph. Example – The graph shows/displays the number of ITunes songs bought in the year …
2. Detail 1: Explain the overall idea of the image. Or you could also start with the highest value that draws your attention.
3. Detail 2: A detail that supports this main idea. Or you could also explain the lowest value or another important information.
4. Conclusion: It is very important as it makes your answer complete. Try to summarize the graph or provide your point of view for that particular image.
To stay updated, like us on Facebook.